2008 British Open Venue

The 137th British Open venue was the Royal Birkdale Golf Club, situated at the southernmost edge of the English seaside town of Southport, on Merseyside in Lancashire. The course at Royal Birkdale was lengthened by 154 yards, while this British Open venue also enjoyed upgrades in several other areas. The new layout boasted an extended length of about 7 122 yards.
One of Britain’s finest golf clubs and host to two Ryder Cups, the Walker and Curtis Cups, the Women’s British Open and the Open Championship, Royal Birkdale has consistently been rated as one of Britain’s top courses.

The Open at Royal Birkdale

The Open was first staged at Royal Birkdale when it was added to the list of championship courses in 1954, when Peter Thomson won the first of his five Open Championships and he conquered again at Birkdale 11 years later in 1965.
A further six British Open tournaments have been staged at the Lancashire venue, which is viewed by many as the best English course on the Open rotation.
Royal Birkdale’s famous and challenging links course last hosted the Open Championship in July 1998, when Mark O’Meara beat Brian Watts in a playoff.
Royal Birkdale Golf Club has occupied its present site since 1897, nine years after the club was founded. The basis of the course design as it stands, with huge sand dunes looming over winding fairways, was created in the 1920s.
In preparation for the 1965 British Open and Ryder Cup the clubhouse was extended, a new par-three 12th hole created and the closing holes redeveloped. The course at this British Open venue was also the scene of the dramatic halved Ryder Cup encounter in 1969.